NYC BookOff moving….
Just as I reported on Asahiya several months back, I noticed this about BookOff.. they are moving… This is news that would be of interest to people who frequent New York’s BookOff or visits. I blogged about this bookstore a while ago. This news of course, is better news than Asahiya’s closing several months back. I saw this news as I was in BookOff today, and tweeted about it, got some responses.. If you can’t read from the photo above…
animemiz: Oh my big news… on March 20, NYC BookOff is going to be closed for relocation to 45th betw. 5th and 6th to reopen estimate on April 17
So here are some thoughts.. I have been at this location since I was in High school, so I have seen them move thingss around, add and remove things. I have mixed feelings about this place moving. Some people may or not agree. I will try to list them out.
Mostly because I love bookstores, new or used this is also my family’s favorite used bookstore, to go and hang around for 3-4 hours. Plenty of New Yorkers would say it would be the Strand having top honors as being the Used bookstore, but BookOff has a niche. I usually end up batting my family off away from the English books/cds, but then go slightly nuts on my own for what I like. This is a bookstore that takes dvds, cds, books, games.. and review it for sale on the spot. This can probably mean… huge money losses for you, but one thing is good about this place is that once you bring it to them, that your bookshelf has blank spots in it. Still this is a used bookstore, so there is always the temptation to go and stock up on more books to buy.
Pros about BookOff Moving
- Bigger location means more products space, or places to just browse through books, games, cds, dvds, magazines, stationary..
- A fresh new look to the business
Cons about BookOff’s Move
- The time that there is no BookOff to visit is kinda bad.. I am use to 365/7 schedule… so probably will have some widrawal symptoms.
- Familiar spot is no more.
- New Yorkers and visitors alike would have to get use to the new location, otherwise they’ll miss out on this Japanese Used super giant.
- No more close proximity to the libraries, and familiar Japanese food/grocery sites.
Possibilities of BookOff’s Move
- More air circulation – summer and winter it gets so crowded some times, that the air grows stale, especially on the second floor.
- Cell phone reception is already crappy at the location of BookOff, so perhaps better cell phone reception?
- Availability of a restroom facility? Since there is currently none at the BookOff location. There use to be, but that was a while ago.
- Well I know that my bookstore hopping route is going to be changing slightly. This can be a bad or good thing, but one thing… up for speculations.. since it is probably not going to be like a rectangle path anymore from NYC Kinokuniya.
So what to do you think of my thoughts? Hmm.. I am going to have to process this some more. Should look at my used Soymilk Desserts.. that I found for about $5 cheaper than at NYC Kinokuniya.. ;p